Monday 20 April 2015

Unfinished Business

James and I were very bad bloggers, and did not write about the things we were supposed to write about regarding the end of our New York trip.

It is now approximately 8 months since we got home and we are now embarking on a new adventure. That being said, I feel as though I cannot close the first chapter of the Hot Dog Blog before beginning another until I've told you about Lion King on Broadway, as I had promised.

Lion King is about spectacle. So many of us know the story that the words aren't as important anymore. As the first musical number started, I cried. I was so overwhelmed by Julie Taymor's costumes and puppets, along with the entire cast bursting out the songs of my childhood that I couldn't keep the tears back.

Rafiki. Rafiki. Rafiki Rafiki. Played by a woman; she stole the show. Speaking (and singing) Swahili, I felt as though I was transported as much as a person could be while sitting in the middle of a Broadway theatre in between a bunch of people. People who, by the way, spoke too loud during the quiet moments. So loud in fact that I had to lean over and tell them that they were ruining my experience.

I'm glad we went and saw Lion King, but at the same time a little disappointed. We didn't go to Book of Mormon because it was coming to Vancouver. We figured that Lion King wouldn't be in Vancouver for a long time since it had shown only a few years ago. We were wrong. Book of Mormon sold out in a ridiculously short period of time, and then Lion King DID come to Vancouver.

Hindsight being 20/20, I probably wouldn't have done it the same way. Oh well!

Now that that is taken care of--I can move on to more immediate matters. James and I shall now be writing about Mexico, or as I've so cleverly dubbed our most recent adventures: The Burrito Blog: Los Cabos Edition.

-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment